HMML’s Malta Study Center provided three manuscripts for the exhibition. The first is an 18th-century captain’s report of a Spanish and Maltese squadron patrolling off the coast of Tunisia, while the second is another 18th century ship’s log from the French Frigate l’Iris, which details a convoy escorted from France to Malta in 1789. The third manuscript is an report on the need to re-fortify the walls of Fort Saint Elmo in Valletta by the engineer Mederico Blondel.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for the Malta Study Center to participate with Heritage Malta,” noted Dr. Daniel Gullo, Joseph S. Micallef Curator of HMML’s Malta Study Center. “It allows us for the first time to share our own manuscript collection with our European partners.”
Besides HMML, other institutions participating in this exhibition include the Mdina Cathedral Museum, The Victor Pasmore Foundation and Art Gallery, The Notarial Archives, Palazzo Falson Historic House Museum, the National Library, Casa Rocca Piccola and the non-governmental organisation MOAS. Two Maltese parish churches, Gudja Parish Church and St Paul’s Collegiate Parish Church (Rabat) have also lent works. International lenders include the Louvre, and Fondazione Renzo Piano (Genoa) besides Palazzo Pitti in Florence, Italy.
For more information visit www.reunion.org.mt or http://www.bozar.be/en/activities/121409-malta-land-of-sea